Question about getting Neuron run on Grid

cxie

Question about getting Neuron run on Grid

Post by cxie »

I am working on get Neuron on Grid MP, which is a distributed computing infrastracture based on grid technology and can take advantage of the computing power of hundreds or thousands of computers.

My question is here:
In order to get Neuron run on Grid MP, we may need to pack all the executables files and library files into a package and then deploy it on the Grid. However, when we installed Neuron on MSwin, there are many folds and files created in the installtion fold. I am not sure what files is required for execution of Neuron. Could someone here assure me what's the basic executables files and library files required for the exuction of Neuron?

Thanks.
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

In principle all you need is c:\nrn59\bin\nrniv.exe and a hoc file which defines the model. In practice you will have to add the nrnmech.dll that gives you your channels unless you were able to define everything with the ChannelBuilder. If you do not use Bill Lytton's loadfiles script that puts all used hoc files into a single hoc file then you are likely to need the c:\nrn59\lib\hoc directory tree since load_file("nrngui") loads many of those. Finally, look at c:\nrn59\lib\neuron.sh to see what environment is required (neuron.sh is executed by the bin/neuron.exe stub). You can make nrniv.exe 1/4 its normal size if you build from sources using the configure option --without-iv