neuronal response to magnetically induced electric fields

Moderator: wwlytton

fabi.pfeif

neuronal response to magnetically induced electric fields

Post by fabi.pfeif »

Hello everyone,

I would like to model neuronal response from cells in mouse hippocampus to magnetically induced electric fields. Similar to the paper:

Boshuo Wang, Warren M. Grill, Angel V. Peterchev,
Coupling Magnetically Induced Electric Fields to Neurons: Longitudinal and Transverse Activation,
Biophysical Journal,
Volume 115, Issue 1,
Pages 95-107,
ISSN 0006-3495,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpj.2018.06.004.

To start, I would like to replicate the simulation in the above mentioned paper in NEURON. Specifically, I would like to simulate the response of an HH axon model to an external electric field. I was reading up on the forum entry viewtopic.php?t=4262 where it is described how to apply extracellular stimulation current using electrodes, but I don't understand how/if this can be used to couple an external magnetically-induced electric field in V/m to the neuron (as opposed to extracellular current).

So I would like to ask the community if there is some function implemented in NEURON to simulate the characteristics of magnetically induced electric fields. Thank you very much in advance.
ted
Site Admin

Re: neuronal response to magnetically induced electric fields

Post by ted »

if there is some function implemented in NEURON to simulate the characteristics of magnetically induced electric fields
That is not included with NEURON. However, there are a lot of smart NEURON users who are interested in related problems, so maybe one or more of them has already implemented their own code for doing that with NEURON--see the list, at nrn.readthedocs.io, of papers that report work that was done with NEURON. If nobody has done that yet, maybe you could be the first!
fabi.pfeif

Post by fabi.pfeif »

thank you very much for your reply!
I found a toolbox (NEMO) which includes NEURON and provides the tools I need. However, I tried to compile the given models and ran into an error when using NEURON to compile the .mod files. I have compiled .mod files before, but now the compilation fails with the following message:

C:/nrn/include/nrnrandom.h:6:7: note: old declaration 'Rand* nrn_random_arg(int)'
6 | Rand* nrn_random_arg(int);
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ProbAMPANMDA_EMS.cpp: In function 'double urand_ProbAMPANMDA_EMS(double*, Datum*, Datum*, NrnThread*)':
ProbAMPANMDA_EMS.cpp:520:40: warning: 'double nrn_random_pick(void*)' is deprecated: non-void* overloads are preferred [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
520 | value = nrn_random_pick(_p_rng);
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~
ProbAMPANMDA_EMS.cpp:388:8: note: declared here
388 | double nrn_random_pick(void* r);
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ProbAMPANMDA_EMS.cpp:524:22: error: too many arguments to function 'double scop_random()'
524 | value = scop_random ( 1.0 ) ;
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~
In file included from C:/nrn/include/mech_api.h:19:
C:/nrn/include/scoplib.h:121:8: note: declared here
121 | double scop_random();
| ^~~~~~~~~~~
make: *** [/cygdrive/c\nrn/lib/mknrndll.mak:27: ProbAMPANMDA_EMS.o] Error 1

There was an error in the process of creating nrnmech.dll
Press Return key to exit

I would like to kindly ask, if the community could give me more information on the origin of this error, since I do not understand what went wrong

kind regards
fabi.pfeif

Post by fabi.pfeif »

###UPDATE###
I manged to compile the files with an older version of NEURON (7.8) :)
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

So changes to nrnivmodl since NEURON 7.8 have interfered with NEMO. Where did you find NEMO and what is the paper that presents this tool? I wonder if its developers would be interested in making it work under the latest version of NEURON, if that doesn't require too much of their effort.