Windows 10 install problem. Path issue?

Bill Connelly

Windows 10 install problem. Path issue?

Post by Bill Connelly »

Hi Ted, Michael and anyone else,

So I'm installing NEURON 7.6.5 under Windows 10 and everything seemed to go fine until the very end when I got a message that went something like "error setting path, length >1024".

When I try to run nrngui, I get:

Code: Select all

bash: cygpath: command not found
bash: nrnpyenv.sh: command not found
bash: nrngui: command not found

NEURON exited abnormally. Press the return key to close this window

When I look in the environment variables, I can see I have NEURONHOME set to c:\nrn PYTHONPATH set to c:\nrn\lib\python, but when I look at the PATH variable, there doesn't seem to be anything neuron related:

C:\Users\wmkc\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3;C:\Users\wmkc\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\Library\mingw-w64\bin;C:\Users\wmkc\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\Library\usr\bin;C:\Users\wmkc\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\Library\bin;C:\Users\wmkc\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\Scripts;C:\Users\wmkc\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2017a\runtime\win64;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2017a\bin;C:\XIMEA\API;C:\Program Files\GenICam_v2_4\bin\Win64_x64;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\VISA\WinNT\Bin\;C:\Program Files\IVI Foundation\VISA\Win64\Bin\;C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\VISA\WinNT\Bin;C:\Program Files\PuTTY\;C:\ffmpeg\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\;

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks.
ramcdougal

Re: Windows 10 install problem. Path issue?

Post by ramcdougal »

To fix, add the following two paths to your system PATH environment variable (for instructions on how to modify PATH, see https://www.architectryan.com/2018/03/1 ... indows-10/):

Code: Select all

c:\nrn\bin
c:\nrn\mingw\usr\bin
We've identified the source of the 1024 limit, and this should be fixed in future releases. Thank you for pointing this out.