Interviews Not Installing

Krishna Chaitanya

Interviews Not Installing

Post by Krishna Chaitanya »

Hi,

While installing NEURON on a linux system, the make command for interviews is failing (libtool: link: cannot find the library `../../lib/libUnidrawhines.la' or unhandled argument `../../lib/libUnidrawhines.la'
Makefile:117: recipe for target 'idraw' failed)

As instructed in earlier posts, I went into src/lib folder and executed make. This is the result

Makefile:482: recipe for target 'IV-2_6/adjuster2_6.lo' failed
make: *** [IV-2_6/adjuster2_6.lo] Error 1

I tried installing the required packages (as mentioned in earlier posts) but I could not make it working.

Kindly help.

Thank you.
ted
Site Admin

Re: Interviews Not Installing

Post by ted »

As instructed in earlier posts, I went into src/lib folder and executed make.
That's guaranteed not to work. We need to correct that--in which posts did you find that instruction?

Are you installing from the gzipped tar file, or did you clone the git repository? In either case, you want to
cd iv
then execute ./configure with an appropriate argument, then run make and finally make install.
Krishna Chaitanya

Post by Krishna Chaitanya »

Hi,

The problem seems to be with the downloaded files of nrn 7.4 and iv 19.

I have used nrn 7.5 and iv 19, which worked without any problem. Is it possible to make a dedicated post for the packages required for installing NEURON for Linux and Windows? Because whenever I run into trouble I had to go through the forum multiple times to figure out what went wrong.

Thank you.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

We're not going to make any progress if this discussion jumps from one item to another, piling one unresolved issue on top of another. First let's resolve the first issue, and then we'll go on to the next. Here's the first issue raised by your previous post:
As instructed in earlier posts, I went into src/lib folder and executed make.
That's guaranteed not to work. We need to correct that--in which posts did you find that instruction?
So where was it?

The next issue arises from your most recent post.
The problem seems to be with the downloaded files of nrn 7.4 and iv 19.

I have used nrn 7.5 and iv 19, which worked without any problem.
Then why not use the latter? Do you absolutely have to use 7.4? There have been many bug fixes and performance improvements since 7.4 was the "most recent standard distribution".
Is it possible to make a dedicated post for the packages required for installing NEURON for Linux and Windows?
Absolutely possible, and here's the "main loop" of the algorithm for doing it (in pseudocode):

Code: Select all

REPEAT
  for each version of NEURON currently in use (including all alphas) {
    for (each distribution of Linux
      and all versions of MSWin
      and all versions of [OS X/MacOS/whatever Tim Cook likes to call it today]
      that are currently in use) {
        if anything changes {
          discover all dependencies (see below)
          summarize and publicize them
        }
    }
  }
UNTIL (there is no more $$$ to pay for a dedicated full time person to do the above)
Here is the algorithm for "discover all dependencies":

Code: Select all

start with a bare machine that has only the OS in question
REPEAT
  try to compile NEURON's source code
  note any errors and fix them
    (i.e. add packages needed to construct a development environment,
    then discover NEURON's dependencies per se and resolve them)
UNTIL done
Of course, everything changes all the time. Apple and Microsoft are always updating their operating systems, Python and other programming languages are always changing, compilers and libraries are always changing etc.. And there never has been $$$ to pay for a dedicated full time person to carry out the main loop.

However, as you note, things work more often than not, even if
whenever I run into trouble I had to go through the forum multiple times to figure out what went wrong.
thanks to the effort invested by those who discovered the fixes and posted them on the Forum. You are of course welcome to post on the Forum any fixes that you discover.