Cannot see all cell names in NetGUI window

The basics of how to develop, test, and use models.
Kim Ha

Cannot see all cell names in NetGUI window

Post by Kim Ha »

Hi Ted,
I am building a model of 61 cells. After finishing cell builder, I open Network Builder window. However, I am not able to see all my cell names in that window and cannot scroll up and down the page. I also try several things like view=plot or zoom in and out, but they do not help. Can you show me the way to see all cell names so that I can build my model?
With model having many cells with different properties, what should I do to reduce the work? Actually, I am not good at hoc so I prefer to build by GUI, then creat a hoc file.
Thank you for spending time!
ted
Site Admin

Re: Cannot see all cell names in NetGUI window

Post by ted »

I think you hold the world record for "biggest network created with the Network Builder."
Kim Ha wrote:I am not able to see all my cell names in that window and cannot scroll up and down the page.
I'll have to see the problem for myself. If you send me a zip file that contains the session files that are necessary to reproduce the problem, I may be able to tell you how to deal with this problem.
With model having many cells with different properties, what should I do to reduce the work? Actually, I am not good at hoc so I prefer to build by GUI, then creat a hoc file.
The Network Builder is convenient for small nets, with maybe as many as 5 or 6 cells. If the number of cells is larger than that, it is very tedious to use the Network Builder and it is much easier to write code--either hoc or Python. With just a few "for" loops one can create all the cells, then connect them. You'll find a couple of examples in
Hines, M.L. and Carnevale, N.T.
Translating network models to parallel hardware in NEURON.
J. Neurosci. Methods 169:425-455, 2008.
and
Brette, R. et al. Simulation of networks of spiking neurons: a review of tools and strategies.
J. Comput. Neurosci. 23:349-398, 2007.
Both of these papers are available from http://www.neuron.yale.edu/neuron/nrnpubs