Some problem in Windows server 2008 R2

chalspark

Some problem in Windows server 2008 R2

Post by chalspark »

Hi, all

I have finished installation Neuron 7.1 at Windows server 2008 R2.

I think that it is not a problem at all. because I used Neuron 7.1 at Windows 7.

But, I met some problem. some project source isn't work!

example)

I execute initizap.hoc. then, Neuron windows come out and just disappear.

nrngui works well, What is problem?
ted
Site Admin

Re: Some problem in Windows server 2008 R2

Post by ted »

chalspark wrote:I execute initizap.hoc. then, Neuron windows come out and just disappear.
I assume that you downloaded izap.zip, unzipped this file, then cd'd into the new izap directory--please confirm.

Did you compile the mod file?

Exactly what did you do to "execute initizap.hoc"?
nrngui works well
What is the evidence that it works well?
chalspark

Post by chalspark »

Thanks for your quick answer!
ted wrote:Did you compile the mod file?
Yes, I have done compile sucessfuly.
ted wrote:Exactly what did you do to "execute initizap.hoc"?
I had double clik initizap.hoc file. So, a few windows come out throught this windows I can check sinewave in windows 7. But 2008 R2 isn't.
ted wrote:What is the evidence that it works well?
I started nrngui then can clik gui menu and can simulation.

I tried many method. So, I think that found factor because added files. I think that added files can't execute.

existing other samples work well in 'nrn71/demo/demo.hoc' and etc....

how can i solved this problem? I looks suspiciously compiler gingerly.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

There aren't enough clues for me to discover the cause of the problem you are having.

Where did you expand izap.zip? Did you expand it into a subdirectory of c:\nrn7.1, or did you expand it into some other location?
chalspark

Post by chalspark »

ted wrote:There aren't enough clues for me to discover the cause of the problem you are having.

Where did you expand izap.zip? Did you expand it into a subdirectory of c:\nrn7.1, or did you expand it into some other location?
Thanks Ted. I did expand Izap.zip in c:\nrn7.1.

I hope to solve this problem.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

chalspark wrote:I did expand Izap.zip in c:\nrn7.1.
Don't do that. Don't start messing around inside the installation directory or its subdirectories. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problems you're having, but it's too easy to break things and run into "permissions" problems if you start working inside the installation directory. You should probably uninstall NEURON (use NEURON's own uninstaller, which you will find inside the NEURON program group; don't use MSWin's own software install/uninstall tools for this). After uninstall is complete, you may have to delete the c:\nrn7.1 directory tree manually (because you wrote new files inside it when you expanded izap.zip there).

After you have removed NEURON, reboot the machine, and make sure that there is no c:\nrn7.1 directory. If there is, delete it and all of its contents. Then you can reinstall NEURON. After it has been reinstalled, MSWin's "Start" menu should contain a NEURON program group that contains something called neurondemo. Click on neurondemo, then select one of the demonstration models--Release is a good one. Click on Init & Run to make sure that NEURON is working (the graphs should show plots of membrane potential, calcium currents, and calcium concentrations). Exit neurondemo.

Finally, create a new directory (folder) for your NEURON programs. This directory should be somewhere that you have read/write/execute permissions--preferably inside your own "user" area (probably in c:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\--maybe even on your Desktop). This will be the main folder to contain all of your NEURON projects--each of your NEURON projects should have its own folder inside this one.