cannot review shell's command history!

patoorio

cannot review shell's command history!

Post by patoorio »

Just like it sounds. I press the UP arrow key and I only get a beep or error sound. Sometimes I make preliminary simulations from within the command shell, and re-typing everything may get tedious.
Is there some kind of rxvt shell configuration that may be wrong? (something related to keyboard layout, for instance)
I'm running NEURON 6.2 under Windows XP Professional 64-bit edition.

Regards
ted
Site Admin

Re: cannot review shell's command history!

Post by ted »

I've had no problem with it under 32 bit XP pro, with NEURON 6.2 or 7.1 alpha.
Don't know of any shell setting that would affect this.
patoorio

Post by patoorio »

Now this is funny:
* I installed NEURON in a 32-bit WinXP Virtual machine (within my 64-bit environment), and the things works! (i.e., previous commands appear when I press 'UP')
* Back in the 64-bit WinXP, I launched the xrvt terminal and again the command history can be properly reviewed.
So the problem seems to be only within NEURON, and within a 64-bit environment. Any clue? Just in case, I will uninstall and install again.

BTW, what kind of keyboard do you have: USB, PS2 or laptop-embedded? Mine is USB.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

I don't have 64 bit XP; have used 64 bit Vista but only briefly about a month ago, and don't recall whether the up-arrow key recalled previous commands in NEURON's rxvt terminal.

I've used all three kinds of keyboards on different machines, with NEURON running under 32 bit Win 2K and XP (and 64 bit Vista). Not to mention 32 and 64 bit CentOS linux.
tedballou

Post by tedballou »

Hi — I also have trouble with the arrow keys accessing history, ALTHOUGH I just realized that the line editing functions and history are just fine as long as I stick to
Control-P (previous command),
Control-N (nex command),
Control-A (start of line),
Control-E (end of line),
Control-F (forward one character)
Control-B (back one character)

I find that in "em" the same applies, the keyboard arrows give me (figured out by preceding arrows with Control-Q):
Esc[A (up)
Esc[B (down)
Esc[C (right)
Esc[D (left)

What do you know, it's a vt100 terminal! I wonder how this is supposed to work.....

cheers, TedB
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

tedballou wrote:in "em" the same applies, the keyboard arrows give me (figured out by preceding arrows with Control-Q):
Esc[A (up)
Esc[B (down)
Esc[C (right)
Esc[D (left)

What do you know, it's a vt100 terminal!
em is microemacs. For links to a tutorial and a complete listing of commands see the Programmer's Reference entry for em
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/neuron/stati ... or.html#em
Darshan

Post by Darshan »

Hi,

I am using NEURON -- VERSION 7.4 (1343:d0b379734f36) 2015-06-08, which I compiled from the mercurial repository. I am facing a similar problem on the NEURON interpreter (terminal). I am not able to view the command history by using the UP arrow key. Is there a workaround for this?

I am on Ubuntu 14.04.2 64 bit.

Thanks,
Darshan
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

I'm using
7.4 (1347:5190a3c5b372) 2015-06-26
and have no such problem. Granted, the OS is CentOS 6.4 (RHEL without the trademark) but there were a lot of changes--and bug fixes--in the weeks leading up to the NEURON Summer Course in mid-June. You might try the most recent development code from the mercurial repository.