Problem compiling mod files

ted
Site Admin

Problem compiling mod files

Post by ted »

This thread has been transferred from the NEURON WWW pages.

On 6/12/2010 jjmca3 wrote
This problem may sound simple to experienced users but i am very new to this environment. Downloaded MAC version of NEURON ; mknrndll will not function. Xcode in use error message when trying to use downloaded simulation model is *.mod *.mod make: *** No rule to make target `mod_func.c.lo', needed by `libnrnmech.la'. Stop. Similar message when trying to start nrn by dragging to mknrndll.app Any suggestions greatly appreciated. JM
On 6/12/2010 hal replied
Under OS X the usage of mknrndll consists of the following:
Drag a folder containing mod files or a set of mod files onto the icon. Press return to close this window.

Is that what you did? If not, try it and see if it succeeds.
On 6/13/2010 jjmca3 answered
Tried that with no luck then went to X11 version. Passed initial hurdle only to find a new one. Full error message follows:

-e
"/Users/mcauj0/Desktop/NEURON sims and file/NEURON-5.6/nrn/share/nrn/libtool" --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I"/Users/mcauj0/Desktop/NEURON sims and file/NEURON-5.6/nrn/include/nrn" -I"/Users/mcauj0/Desktop/NEURON sims and file/NEURON-5.6/nrn/powerpc/lib" -g -O2 -c -o mod_func.lo mod_func.c
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. "-I/Users/mcauj0/Desktop/NEURON sims and file/NEURON-5.6/nrn/include/nrn" "-I/Users/mcauj0/Desktop/NEURON sims and file/NEURON-5.6/nrn/powerpc/lib" -g -O2 -c mod_func.c -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/mod_func.o
"/Users/mcauj0/Desktop/NEURON sims and file/NEURON-5.6/nrn/share/nrn/libtool" --mode=link gcc -module -g -O2 -o libnrnmech.la -rpath "/Users/mcauj0/Desktop/NEURON sims and file/NEURON-5.6/nrn/powerpc/lib" mod_func.lo -L"/Users/mcauj0/Desktop/NEURON sims and file/NEURON-5.6/nrn/powerpc/lib" -lnrnoc -loc -lmemacs -lscopmath -lsparse13 -lreadline -lncurses
libtool: link: cannot find the library `'
make: *** [libnrnmech.la] Error 1
Press 'return' key to close

Path to library not found or the code is not being read properly, not sure. Any suggestions. Many thanks
hines
Site Admin

Re: Problem compiling mod files

Post by hines »

I'm not surprised that the 5.3 version does not work if your mac has a recent OS. Did you install from source?
If so i'd try a current version.

If you used a recent dmg, what is your OS, what is the dmg you tried to use, and where did you drag the dmg
contents for installation. If not to /Applications/NEURON-7.2 , I'd try again from that installed position using
the most recent alpha version from
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/ftp/neuron/versions/alpha/
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

jjmca3 tells me he has OS X 10.5.8 and XCode 3.1.2, and neurondemo works.
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

Remove the i686 folder from the folder you dragged onto the mknrndll icon and then
try again and send the entire console output to michael dot hines at yale dot edu.
Also send the banner that is printed when you launch the neurondemo icon.