Accessing model properties that aren't defined explicitly

The basics of how to develop, test, and use models.
RTomsett

Accessing model properties that aren't defined explicitly

Post by RTomsett »

Hi Neuron folks,

I'm interested in finding the conductances between sections in my model. Is there an easy was to get at this value in NEURON without having to calculate it myself from axial resistance and section lengths & diameters? So far I've been calculating these values by hand, then checking by separating sections and reconnecting with gap junction mechanisms of equivalent conductance, but this seems a little long-winded.

Many thanks,

Richard
ted
Site Admin

Re: Accessing model properties that aren't defined explicitl

Post by ted »

RTomsett wrote:I'm interested in finding the conductances between sections in my model.
. . .
So far I've been calculating these values by hand, then checking by separating sections and reconnecting with gap junction mechanisms of equivalent conductance
Why are you doing this? What are you trying to accomplish?
RTomsett

Post by RTomsett »

It's mainly for when copying models to other simulators where compartments are dealt with separately and coupled with a conductance (e.g. Brian). Lots of useful models already implemented in Neuron so would be handy to be able to get at the coupling conductance without having to calculate it every time from axial resistance and compartment length and diameter. It's not a huge problem as it's not hard to calculate, but could save a bit of time if there's an easy way of getting it from Neuron.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

ri will do what you want. Read about it in the Programmer's Reference
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/neuron/stati ... ry.html#ri
RTomsett

Post by RTomsett »

Ah, fantastic. Sorry, must have missed it when I was looking through the Programmer's Reference.