Using CellBuilder without Using GUI

Using the graphical user interface to build and exercise models. Includes customizing the GUI by writing a little bit of hoc or Python
bwjmbb17

Using CellBuilder without Using GUI

Post by bwjmbb17 »

Hey guys,

I am wondering if there is a way to use CellBuilder without using the GUI? I am wanting to build a template that uses the CellBuilder code but without having to go through the GUI, maybe just have a function that feeds all the necessary parameters to the CellBuilder code. Is this something that has been done before? Or that can be incorporated easily?

Thanks,
Brenyn
ted
Site Admin

Re: Using CellBuilder without Using GUI

Post by ted »

I can think of only one reason to use the CellBuilder without using the GUI, and that is to automate conversion of detailed morphometric data into a model specification. Having worked with a lot of morphometric data, and knowing the many problems which can affect such data, I regard that as an extremely risky practice. Some of the most important tests of imported morphometric data involve examining the error messages that are generated during the import process, not to mention examining the resulting model (including looking at it from many angles as it rotates around the x, y, and z axes. If you insist on avoiding the GUI, pray that your manuscript doesn't fall into the hands of a reviewer who knows something about microscopy and quantitative morphometry.

That said, here are a couple of discussion threads that you may find informative.
SWC files viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3257
Error on loading the SWC file using neuron viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3298
bwjmbb17

Re: Using CellBuilder without Using GUI

Post by bwjmbb17 »

Thank you for your response. I will take a look into the threads you posted.