Neuron 7.2 on XP

aeblen

Neuron 7.2 on XP

Post by aeblen »

Hi,
After instalation of Neuron 7.2 for MSWIN on a XP I get the following error:
The procedure entry point_except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll
I was run Neuron 7.1 on the same XP computer without problem, despite that this previous version of Neuron was uninstalled I get the error message. Also I changed for a new msvcrt.dll (on WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 or/and NEURON folders) and still get the the same error.
Any advice ?

Thanks,

A. Eblen-Zajjur
ted
Site Admin

Re: Neuron 7.2 on XP

Post by ted »

Assuming that you are installing with this program
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/ftp/neuron/v ... .setup.exe
try uninstalling NEURON (use the uninstaller that is in the NEURON program group), then make sure there is no nrn... directory in c:\, and finally reinstall NEURON. Then see if neurondemo works.

If you are using some other program to install NEURON, please tell me what it is and where you found it.
aeblen

Post by aeblen »

Ted,
Thanks for your advice, but despite many trials and many ways, I still get the same "entry error", but surprising, 6 to 8 seconds after the error warning, the nrniv runs quit well with demo and for self written tutorial based hocs. So I will ignore this error.
I will use Neuron for modelling human eye blink reflex circuitry.
Thanks for your time and for share this valuable research tool.
Best wishes from the chaotic Venezuela
Antonio
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

I've not heard of this before, but googling for
point_except_handler4_common msvcrt.dll
turns up a lot of relevant information. eg.
------------
The procedure entry point_except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll
Posted on July 22, 2008 by Steven Smethurst

This error is caused by a 3rd party utility or applcation overwriting your msvcrt.dll with a different version.

For example if a windows vista version of this DLL was copied on to a windows XP computer you would probably get this error.

A solution to this problem can be found in Microsofts KB
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324762
--------------------
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

hines wrote:I've not heard of this before, but googling for
point_except_handler4_common msvcrt.dll
turns up a lot of relevant information
Yes, but the fix suggested by Microsoft
(installing msvcrt.dll from the msvcrt.dl_ file on the WinXP install/recovery CD) doesn't work, as I belatedly discovered this week when trying to install NEURON 7.3 under 32 bit WinXP on a virtual machine. The installation of WinXP I'm using has all the latest updates from Microsoft. The expanded msvcrt.dll obtained from the recovery CD has these properties
Modified April 13, 2008
Size - 335 KB (343,040 bytes)
Version - 7.0.2600.5512
which are identical to those of the msvcrt.dll that was already in c:\windows\system32, and indeed comparing the files reveals that their contents are byte-for-byte identical. The Microsoft Knowledge Base article advises using a msvcrt.dll with these properties
Modified 8.23.01
Size - 315 KB (322,560 bytes)
Version - 7.0.2600.0

So as of now, 32 bit cygwin-based NEURON 7.2 installs and runs OK, but 7.3 standard distribution and its latest alpha both fail with the same error message.