Errors with make install (nrn-5.7.159 OSX 10.3.9)

jaambros

Errors with make install (nrn-5.7.159 OSX 10.3.9)

Post by jaambros »

I've been running nrn-5.6 with X11 for some time but decided to upgrade.

When trying to install nrn-5.7.159 from scratch in a G5 running 10.3.9
iv makes and installed OK.

For nrn, make went fine but I get errors with make install (see below).
Any help in solving this will be greatly appreciated.

-----------------------------
$ make install > out.install.txt
./mac2uxarg.c:10: warning: could not use precompiled header '/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon-gcc3.p', because:
./mac2uxarg.c:10: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFNetwork.h' has different date than in precomp
./mac2uxarg.c:10: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFSocketStream.h' has different date than in precomp
./mac2uxarg.c:10: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFHost.h' has different date than in precomp
./mac2uxarg.c:10: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFNetServices.h' has different date than in precomp
./mac2uxarg.c:10: warning: and others...
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:20: warning: could not use precompiled header '/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Headers/CoreServices-gcc3.p', because:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:20: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFNetwork.h' has different date than in precomp
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:20: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFSocketStream.h' has different date than in precomp
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:20: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFHost.h' has different date than in precomp
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:20: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFNetServices.h' has different date than in precomp
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:20: warning: and others...
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:24: warning: could not use precompiled header '/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Headers/ApplicationServices-gcc3.p', because:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:24: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFNetwork.h' has different date than in precomp
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:24: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFSocketStream.h' has different date than in precomp
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:24: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFHost.h' has different date than in precomp
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:24: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFNetServices.h' has different date than in precomp
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:24: warning: and others...
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Headers/AXUIElement.h:16: warning: could not use precompiled header '/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Headers/ApplicationServices-gcc3.p', because:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Headers/AXUIElement.h:16: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFNetwork.h' has different date than in precomp
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Headers/AXUIElement.h:16: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFSocketStream.h' has different date than in precomp
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Headers/AXUIElement.h:16: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFHost.h' has different date than in precomp
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Headers/AXUIElement.h:16: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFNetServices.h' has different date than in precomp
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Headers/AXUIElement.h:16: warning: and others...
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:33: header file 'CarbonSound/CarbonSound.h' not found
cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic mode
make[2]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

[/u][/code]
jaambros

Post by jaambros »

Hi,

Here's the command within make that triggered the errors (I failed to include it in my previous msg).

make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
gcc -I. ./launch.c ./mac2uxarg.c -framework Carbon
./mac2uxarg.c:10: warning: could not use precompiled header '/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon-gcc3.p', because:
./mac2uxarg.c:10: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFNetwork.h' has different date than in precomp
./mac2uxarg.c:10: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFSocketStream.h' has different date than in precomp
./mac2uxarg.c:10: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFHost.h' has different date than in precomp
./mac2uxarg.c:10: warning: 'CFNetwork/CFNetServices.h' has different date than in precomp
./mac2uxarg.c:10: warning: and others...
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

When compiling with X11, only unix things
are supposed to be used and nothing
specifically max os x. For a long time
now I have only been building with the
--enable-carbon configuration option and
perhaps something carbon specific has gotten
into the configuration when Darwin is detected
by configure. Sure enough, down in
src/mac/Makefile.am all the carbon stuff
is invoked since MAC_DARWIN is enabled.
You can work around this by editing
config.status and reversing the sense
of the MAC_DARWIN_FALSE and
MAC_DARWIN_TRUE sed substitution lines.
Then just execute
./config.status
make
make install
Alternatively, just ignore the whole problem.
This was the last item in the installation and
its failure is irrelevant to the correct installation
of the program.
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

If you have VERY recent versions of autoconf,
automake, and libtool, then update the
nrn/src/mac/Makefile.am according to
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/cgi-bin/chan ... f&offset=0
i.e change
if MAC_DARWIN
to
if BUILD_CARBON
and do a ./build.sh in the nrn top directory.
Then the normal configure,make, make install
should work.
jaambros

Post by jaambros »

I tried the first approach; I substituted MAC_DARWIN_TRUE for FALSE and viceversa in config.status, and then
$ make
$ make install
worked fine.

THanks for your help.

PS. When I start up nrngui I get the error
nrniv: unable to open font *Arial*bold*--12*", using "fixed"

Any ideas on how to fix this?
(It looks like its looking for MS Windows fonts)
ccolbert

Arial font errors on OSX

Post by ccolbert »

Yes, for some reason X on Mac OSX doesn't have Arial available.

if you got to your nrn directory:
[colbertlab3:~/neuron] cmcx% du -a | fgrep nrn.defaults
8 ./nrn/share/lib/nrn.defaults
8 ./nrn/share/lib/nrn.defaults.in
8 ./nrn/share/nrn/lib/nrn.defaults

On my system, the first one is the one that gets read on startup. If you check this config file, you can see where the UNIX standard fonts are commented out and the Windows fonts enabled. Switch the comments to end the error messages. (Fonts look good too). There are lots of useful settings and switches in this config file.