When Python is the interpreter, what is a good
design for the interface to the basic NEURON
concepts.

Moderator: hines

anna

.mod files with python

Post by anna »

Hi!
How do I get to compile .mod files into .dll ones while using NEURON as a python module?
(I am working on OS X, does it change anything?)
I saw there were posts concerning .mod files, but couldn't find anything related to my problem.
Thanks a lot,
Anna
ted
Site Admin

Re: .mod files with python

Post by ted »

Described in the FAQ list. At NEURON's Documentation page
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/neuron/docs
click on the "FAQ" link, and look for the item
How do I compile mod files?
anna

Post by anna »

Good morning
Well, I tried to start Python, and then to import NEURON, as usual, while being in the directory of my .mod files. Then I typed "nrnivmodl"
However this gives me the following message:
"NameError: name 'nrnivmodl' is not defined"
On the other hand you write in your answer: "This assumes you have /Applications/NEURON-X.X/nrn/i386/bin in your PATH (substitute the version number for the X.X)." Does it also make sense when NEURON was installed using Eilif Müller's pre-built installer for NEURON 7.0 and Enthought Python?
Thank you very much,
Anna
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

anna wrote:I tried to start Python, and then to import NEURON, as usual, while being in the directory of my .mod files.
Compile the mod files before doing anything else. NEURON loads the compiled objects when it starts. If you start NEURON before compiling the mod files, there won't be anything for NEURON to load.
Then I typed "nrnivmodl"
nrnivmodl is a standalone program, not part of the NEURON or Python namespaces. Run it from the command line in an xterm.