rookie - quick question - membrane potential set

Moderator: wwlytton

benjamingrantdu

rookie - quick question - membrane potential set

Post by benjamingrantdu »

Sorry I did the tutorial but never found the variable for resting potential, how can you set the rest potential to zero? Thank you
Ben
ted
Site Admin

Re: rookie - quick question - membrane potential set

Post by ted »

benjamingrantdu wrote:the tutorial
There are lots of tutorials. Which one do you mean?
benjamingrantdu

http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/school/neuron/

but if you could help me with my current question rather than my tutorial selection it'd be really helpful
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

Presumably the cells in that tutorial have multiple ion channels, each with its own ionic selectivity and voltage-dependent gating. To make resting potential 0 it is necessary to determine the "original" resting potential, then shift all ionic equilibrium potentials and voltage-dependent gating by that amount. Offhand I can't imagine why anyone would want to do such a thing. If the aim is to see membrane potential deflections relative to rest, why not just subtract resting potential from the recorded voltages?
benjamingrantdu

i just had to model something with v_rest = 0 for a homework assignment, I understand that it is easy to adjust the rest potential. The cells we had weren't HH modeled(no ions channels used, just used subthreshold stimulation) but yeah agreed it was not particularly necessary. But anyway, thanks. i just set intial V = 0 and e_pas = 0 and all was golden
Ben