Mathematical and Computational Neuroscience

GTR

Mathematical and Computational Neuroscience

Post by GTR »

I redirected a part of 25 August subject "insert hh" discussion thread from "adding new mechanisms and functions to NEURON"
https://www.neuron.yale.edu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=563
because I think it fits better here!

So the STN neurons fall into this category-condition you are referring to about the conductance densities.Although they are 'below threshold value' they fire rhythmically!
But what's the point of speaking about threshold in a neuron which already produces spikes in its Resting State ?
What are the mechanisms that makes these "resting" channels produce spiking?Is it the levels of conductances that play role?

I find extremely interesting your citation for "analysis of neural excitability" as a senior applied mathematics undergraduate,
but as far as I know John Rinzel and Bard Ermentrout are more mathematical neuroscientists than computational so you suggest me to study firing and bursting activity from a dynamical perspective (with XPP).

By the way ,does computational neuroscience as a field include mathematical neuroscience?
I understand that there is an interplay between them,no doubt!

Where are the adnantagesof computational neuroscience and where these of mathematical?

Let's think about bursting for example, from what point of view does XPP deal with bursting and from what does NEURON?
To what deductions as a tool can the first package lead us and to what the second?
Judging from your experience as a computational neuroscientist,are there cases that these computational tools (like Neuron and Genesis ) fail and there is need for a more mathematical and dynamical analysis(XPP etc.)?

Sorry for the host of questions but I would like your view and also to become aware of the current trends underlying these two fields in the US.