NEURON crashes in Windows 11

rennerm

NEURON crashes in Windows 11

Post by rennerm »

Hi,
Is anybody having troubles to run NEURON on Windows 11? I'm using NEURON for teaching and suddenly it stopped working in the computers of my students running on Windows 11. Compilation runs OK but then we get the error of "mechanism not inserted" when we try to run the code (code that works perfectly fine on Windows 10, and that worked perfectly fine one month ago in the same computer!). And yes, I'm sorry that we are using Windows :)
Thank you in advance for your answers!
ted
Site Admin

Re: NEURON crashes in Windows 11

Post by ted »

Find and delete the nrnmech.dll file. Also delete any *.c and *.o files. Then compile your mod files with nrnivmodl (mknrndll). Did that help?
rennerm

Post by rennerm »

Hi Ted,
Thank you for your answer! unfortunately it did not work. Indeed, it is very weird: compilation runs without errors, the files .dll,.c and .o are all done, however in one computer we got the error 'mechanisms not inserted' for all the .mod (and the simulation did not start of course), whereas in another computer the simulation started (despite one mechanism missing), with totally crazy results. I have to learn a little more about the changes between W10 and W11, I guess...
Well, the semester is almost finished, I will not see the students and their Windows11 again until september. We will see then! Thank you again :)
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

Hmm, would be good to resolve this soon, in case it reveals a bug that needs to be fixed--especially since we're going to be doing a NEURON course next month. Can you point me to the model in question if it exists in ModelDB, or alternatively zip up all the necessary hoc, py, mod, and ses files and email them to
ted dot carnevale at yale dot edu
?
rennerm

Post by rennerm »

Hi Ted,
Done!
Keep fingers crossed :)