Ventura 13.2.1 and NEURON

salvoj

Ventura 13.2.1 and NEURON

Post by salvoj »

Have a newer Mac with 13.2.1 (due to all the recent security upgrades). Downloaded Neuron from site and installed ok. But did get a warning: "NEURON was successfully installed, but...Mod files cannot be linked into NEURON unless Command Line Tools is installed, and NEURON cannot use its classic X11 GUI unless XQuartz is installed. If either or both are not installed, you will be asked if you wish to instal them."

I was not asked to install either, but installed XQuartz. I am not clear where to find the other program.

I can compile files with mknrndll. and create a "arm64" file. Again a list of items say they are not "thread safe"

Now I try to open the demo in nrngui, and get this
"Could not dlopen NRN_PYLIB: /Users/salvoj/anaconda3/lib/libpython3.10.dylib
libnrniv.dylib running as arm64
but /Users/salvoj/anaconda3/lib/libpython3.10.dylib can only run as x86_64

nrngui exit status was 1"

I tried to look into XQuartz and it seems that it will not accept the "arm64" currently (if I understood that all correctly.)

I keep the NEURON folder in my applications and my test files on my desktop. Anaconda3 is in my "users" folder but placed a link in the applications folder when it installed.

I am very new to this, so I apologize in advance. It would be nice to able to run the program. Any suggestions?
ramcdougal

Re: Ventura 13.2.1 and NEURON

Post by ramcdougal »

(For the purposes of this post, I'm using "M1" as a shorthand for M1, M2, and their variants.)

You have an x86_64 version of Python but the M1 version of NEURON and gcc. Uninstall your anaconda, and then get the version labelled "64-Bit (M1) Graphical Installer (564 MB)" from https://www.anaconda.com/products/distr ... #Downloads.

Everything else sounds like it's setup correctly, but for anyone who finds this later:

The XQuartz you download from https://www.xquartz.org/ will just work on M1, but you have to log out and log back in for it to be setup on the paths correctly.

If mknrndll generates the arm64 files, then you already have the command line tools. (The easiest way, is to just type "gcc" without the quotes in a terminal and then either gcc will complain about not having a file to compile or it'll prompt you to download the command line tools.)
salvoj

Re: Ventura 13.2.1 and NEURON

Post by salvoj »

THANK YOU! it works. So now I will have my students try this - they all have different versions of the Mac os...