Applying a low frequency

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
mkr35

Applying a low frequency

Post by mkr35 »

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a project where I need to apply a low frequency to an epileptic pyramidal cell. However, I am unsure of how to do this. I was thinking of creating an iclamp and stimulating that way with a a sinusoidal function. However, I am not entirely sure as to how to do this, due to the fact that I am still very new to neuron. Any feedback would be great.

Thank you for your time.
ted
Site Admin

Re: Applying a low frequency

Post by ted »

First get NEURON running properly on your machine. Then search the Forum for Izap.
mkr35

Post by mkr35 »

Okay I found the file, but I'm not sure how to change it to what I would need it to do. Since I need to apply it to a pyramidal cell and apply the low frequency I am also not sure how to change the frequency. Is there any file that explains how the izap.hoc file works? Thank you for your time.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

mkr35 wrote:I'm not sure how to change it to what I would need it to do.
You don't change it. You use it as is. If necessary, change its parameters either by assignment statements in hoc or Python, or by using a GUI tool like the PointProcessManager.
I am also not sure how to change the frequency.
Read izap.mod's header to discover Izap's parameters. In the PointProcessManager click on Show/Parameters, and use that tool to change the parameters.
I need to apply it to a pyramidal cell and apply the low frequency
From where are you getting your model cell? Do you have a hoc file that specifies its anatomical and biophysical properties, or what?