pause/freeze plot

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
oren

pause/freeze plot

Post by oren »

Hello,
I have a simple question that I did not found a answer to,

How can I keep the current plot, so when running a new point process it will not be updated?

Example I have a plot of voltages from a IClamp at location X and I want to run a new IClamp at a different location, Is it possible to open a new voltage plot and make it so that the old one will not be updated ? ( Will keep the old simulation data)?

Thank You,
Oren.
ted
Site Admin

Re: pause/freeze plot

Post by ted »

Use the graph's "Keep Lines"--click on the graph's menu box (square in upper left corner) and select the "Keep Lines" item from the graph's primary menu. This toggles "Keep Lines" on; a check mark will appear next to "Keep Lines" in the graph's menu. After your graph has all the traces you want to keep, turn "Keep Lines" off by clicking on the menu box and selecting Keep Lines again.

Now bring up a new voltage axis graph and do whatever you like with it.
oren

Post by oren »

I am sorry I did not explained myself correctly.
I want to measure voltage in point x1 while injecting current in x2 and then measure voltage in x1 while injecting current in x3..
The end result that I would like is two different graphs:
In the first the voltage in point x1 as a respond to current in x2
and in the second the voltage in x1 as a respond to current in x3

I do not want both of the plot in the same graph I want them in different graphs..
Is it possible?

Thank You.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

oren wrote:I am sorry I did not explained myself correctly.
. . .
Is it possible?
There are many ways to do this.

1. Simplest GUI approach.

Make a graph that plots v at x1
Run a simulation under condition 1.
Toggle the graph's Keep Lines on and then off.
This graph will keep the trace for condition 1.
Make new a graph that plots v at x1
Run a simulation under condition 2.
Toggle the new graph's Keep Lines on and then off.
The new graph will keep the trace for condition 2.
However, the other graph shows both the condition 1 and the condition 2 trace. How to get rid of that? Click on the RunControl's Init button.

2. Slightly more involved GUI approach.

Make a voltage axis graph that plots v at x1
Click on the voltage axis graph's menu box and select Pick Vector.
Click on the condition 1 trace. It should turn red briefly. You have now copied its xy coordinates to NEURON's clipboard (a pair of vectors called hoc_obj[0] and hoc_obj[1]--read the Programmer's Reference about hoc_obj_).
Bring up a VecWrap window by clicking on NEURON Main Menu / Vector / Display
Click on the VecWrap's menu box and select Copy From Clipboard. This pastes the data in NEURON's clipboard to the VecWrap. Rescale the VecWrap graph by clicking on its menu box, moving the cursor up slightly, then to the right to select the secondary menu's View = plot.

Now run a simulation under condition 2, pick the voltage axis graph's data, make a new VecWrap window, past the condition 2 data into it, and rescale its axes.

3. Programming approach.

Set up Vector recording of time and the voltage at x1.
Create a new graph and use the Vector class's plot method to plot the recorded voltage vector vs. the recorded time vector in this graph.
Now run a simulaton under condition 2, create another graph, and plot the voltage vector against the time vector in this new graph.
oren

Post by oren »

Thank You.