extracellular stimulation and adaptive integration

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
costas

extracellular stimulation and adaptive integration

Post by costas »

Dear All

I am trying to simulate the effect of bipolar electric stimulation at a single neuron. I use (1) the 1/distance-rule in order to calculate the extracellular voltage induced by each pole, (2) the built-in function

Code: Select all

extracellular(x)
to account for the impact of the extracellular stimulation on different locations of the neuron, and (3) a detailed model of a CA1 pyramidal neuron with active membrane mechanisms from the ModlDB.

The above simulation seems to work fine when using a constant time step (Dt) method with a relatively small Dt=0.05 ms. (Note that the extracellular stimulation is always < 200 Hz.) When I try to use CVODE, Vm doesn't seem to be affected by the extracellular stimuli at all. This, even when I set atol < 1e-7 for all STATE variables in the kinetic mechanisms I use (for the intracellular Ca-mechanism I even use 1e-10).

Based on the above I am wondering whether I am missing something... For any help suggestions I would be most thankful!

Best, Costas
iamwave

Re: extracellular stimulation and adaptive integration

Post by iamwave »

how is this part adaptive?
ted
Site Admin

Re: extracellular stimulation and adaptive integration

Post by ted »

Exactly how are you making the extracellular potential change with time?

Now for a separate issue--
I use (1) the 1/distance-rule in order to calculate the extracellular voltage induced by each pole
1/distance presumes a particular geometry of current flow in the extracellular space. Are you sure that this is approprate for your specific case?