Compile error for *.mod in samba mounted folder

dragon88hj

Compile error for *.mod in samba mounted folder

Post by dragon88hj »

Hi all,
I am currently set-up NEURON environment on linux (Linux huxley 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u5 (2015-10-09) x86_64 GNU/Linux).
Our previous systems are on Windows, so we mounted our folders containing NEURON codes (hoc and mod) onto debian via cifs.
NEURON could run properly, but the problem is that it could not compile the *.mod on the mounted directories.
It shows the error like below
ln: failed to create symbolic link `./h.mod` : Operation not supported

Is there any possible solution?
Thanks,
ted
Site Admin

Re: Compile error for *.mod in samba mounted folder

Post by ted »

dragon88hj wrote:Hi all,
I am currently set-up NEURON environment on linux (Linux huxley 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u5 (2015-10-09) x86_64 GNU/Linux).
Our previous systems are on Windows, so we mounted our folders containing NEURON codes (hoc and mod) onto debian via cifs.
NEURON could run properly, but the problem is that it could not compile the *.mod on the mounted directories.
It shows the error like below
ln: failed to create symbolic link `./h.mod` : Operation not supported

Is there any possible solution?
First question: have you ever done this before, and did it work? I'd be surprised if it worked. The mere fact that Linux can read and write files on an NTFS partition does not mean that all features of standard Linux filesystems, like symbolic links, are magically available under NTFS.

Solution: copy your NEURON source files to a Linux partition and work on them there.