mknrndll does not work correctly

xiaosage

mknrndll does not work correctly

Post by xiaosage »

Hi,

I have just installed the latest version of NEURON v7.4. However, when I open the mknrndll to compile the mod code, it hangs up cannot continue. The installation is complete. The nrngui works okay. Do I miss any file? Could you please help answer it? Many thanks!
ted
Site Admin

Re: mknrndll does not work correctly

Post by ted »

Let me make sure that I know which "latest version" you installed.

Did you use one of the NEURON installers (a nrn...exe file)?
If yes, what is the name of that file?
Or did you build NEURON from source code?

When you double click on the nrngui icon in the NEURON program group, what is the first line that it prints to the terminal?

Finally, are you using 32 bit Windows or 64 bit Windows, and is it Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 9, or Win 10?
xiaosage

Post by xiaosage »

Hi ted,

Thanks for your reply.
ted wrote:Let me make sure that I know which "latest version" you installed.

Did you use one of the NEURON installers (a nrn...exe file)?
If yes, what is the name of that file?
Or did you build NEURON from source code?
I use the file named "nrn-7.4.x86_64-w64-mingw32-setup" and I also tried "nrn-7.3.x86_64-w64-mingw32-setup" which has the same problem.
When you double click on the nrngui icon in the NEURON program group, what is the first line that it prints to the terminal?
It says, -- Release 7.4 (1351:8f462ea7e030) 2015-07-21
Finally, are you using 32 bit Windows or 64 bit Windows, and is it Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 9, or Win 10?
64 bit Windows 10.

P.S. I also tried it in another win10 64bit computer and it works okay...
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

That is the very latest installer for MSWin.
I also tried it in another win10 64bit computer and it works okay...
I just tried it under 64 bit Win 7 and had no problem compiling a mod file. So something is different about the first PC you tried, but what, and what to do about it?

Tell me, was an older version of NEURON previously installed on either of your two PCs? If yes, did you use the Uninstaller that came with NEURON to remove that older version? I mean the Uninstaller in the NEURON program group.

Here's what I suggest you try:
Uninstall NEURON from the PC that has the mknrndll that doesn't work. Be sure to use the Uninstaller that came with NEURON.
Then check the root of the C: drive to make sure that there is no C:\nrn directory. If you see one, delete it manually. You might have to be Administrator to do this.
Reboot Windows.
Reinstall the latest NEURON.
Reboot Windows again.
Try neurondemo and make sure it works.
Finally, go to the folder that contains your mod file(s). This should be a folder that belongs to you, not a folder that is in the NEURON installation tree (the folders that are children of C:\nrn) or in any of MSWin's system folders (sorry if you already know all this, but not everybody knows this stuff). If the folder contains a nrnmech.dll file, delete that file. Also delete any .o and .c files that are in that folder.
Finally, try to use mknrndll to compile the mod files.

Please let me know whether this takes care of the problem.
xiaosage

Post by xiaosage »

Hi Ted,

It works! You are right. I did install it before, and the first uninstallation was not completed because I did it in control panel. Now I followed your suggestion and removed all the related stuff in Registry before the reinstallation and it works. Thanks!
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

Sometimes stuff left over from previous installations conflicts with a new version. NEURON's Uninstaller is supposed to prevent that from happening.
xiaosage wrote:and removed all the related stuff in Registry
Fortunately most users don't have to do that to install a new version.