HOC not being associated to nrn, and I can't get it to work

Bill Connelly

HOC not being associated to nrn, and I can't get it to work

Post by Bill Connelly »

So I've running the 32 bit version of nrn 7.3 on a brand new Windows 7 PC. (I tried the 64 bit version first, but it was giving me errors even when I tried to run makenrndll)

Neuron itself appears to be working fine. If I run nrngui, change the working directory, and load the right .HOC file, everything seems fine. But if I try to associate *.HOC files with nrn73/bin/neuron.exe I get

Code: Select all

ImportError: No module named site
exit status 1
Is that not what I should be associating it with? Is there some other problem?

(and yes, I did say associate with HOC when I did the install).
Bill Connelly

Re: HOC not being associated to nrn, and I can't get it to w

Post by Bill Connelly »

I might add that if I install 7.2, that 7.2 works fine.
ted
Site Admin

Re: HOC not being associated to nrn, and I can't get it to w

Post by ted »

I wonder what the difference is between the two installers in the way they deal with the registry.

Just now I uninstalled NEURON, got the standard distribution (32 bit) installer for MSWin from the Downloads page, and installed it under 64 bit Win 7 while logged in as myself. Worked fine. But maybe uninstalling didn't remove all traces of NEURON from the registry on my machine. I'll have to look into this further.

Meanwhile, suggest you use the Uninstaller that is in the NEURON program group to uninstall NEURON, then check c:\ to verify that there are no directories whose names start with nrn and also check the Start menu to make sure there is no NEURON program group (if you see any, delete them manually). Finally, get the latest 32 bit alpha installer for MSWin (currently that's
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/ftp/neuron/v ... -setup.exe
) and see if installing that doesn't take care of the problem.