problems with the mingw installer

jditte

problems with the mingw installer

Post by jditte »

When running the installer nrn-7.3.rel-933.x86_64-w64-mingw32-setup.exe (or also nrn-7.3.x86_64-w64-mingw32-setup.exe) on Windows 7 64-bit I don't have a working version of Neuron. None of the installed links open any window. When I try to execute "neuron" from the command line it complains that it cannot WinExec certain files like mintty or rxvt in "C:\nrn73w64\bin", but there is no "bin" directory in "C:\nrn73w64", only a "bin64" directory and it doesn't contain "mintty" or "rxvt". Is there anything else I need to install? When trying to execute "nrniv" it says "Import Error: No module named site". Thanks for any help!
hines
Site Admin

Re: problems with the mingw installer

Post by hines »

What python have you installed? I see with the enthought canopy version of python that I have to add the -Py_NoSiteFlag to the nrniv command line.
You can do this by right clicking on the nrngui icon and selecting "Create shortcut", then right click on the created shortcut (probably it will be called
nrngui(2)) and select "Properties". In the "Shortcut" tab of the Properties window that pops up, look at the "Target:" string and after the nrniv.exe token
add " -Py_NoSiteFlag " without the double quotes. Then hit the "OK" button and see if the icon now works.

If you open a bash window, do not use neuron.exe. Instead use 'nrniv -Py_NoSiteFlag' (without the ') followed by your desired file arguments.

This site.py stuff is causing me and everyone else endless trouble. Apparently different installations have pyconfig.h in places that NEURON does not
know about. I'm looking for ways to resolve this generically.
jditte

Post by jditte »

Thank you. The "-Py_NoSiteFlag" did the trick. I had no idea that Neuron tries to interact with Python when run stand-alone...
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

I had no idea that Neuron tries to interact with Python when run stand-alone...
Yes. I need to revisit that. Should be possible to defer til python is needed if it is dynamically loaded.
I'm very surpised by the site.py problems that keep cropping up. In fact those have been the only problems related to installation incompatibilities.