Martenzi

Crash when Saving to Graph

Post by Martenzi »

oc>C:\nrn73w64\bin64\nrniv.exe: Segmentation violation
near line 149
{action(2)}
^
oc>

This message is shown when I try and save a graph window to ASCII file. When I open the files in Excel theres no data in them... I really need those data files.
ted
Site Admin

Re: Crash when Saving to Graph

Post by ted »

Please describe how you tried to save data from a graph. What kind of data were displayed in the graph? How did you select the graph whose data were to be saved, and to what directory did you try to save them? Also what version of NEURON are you using (what is the first line that NEURON prints to its terminal when it starts?).
Martenzi

Post by Martenzi »

Apologies for the multiple threads.

I have the latest version:

NEURON -- Release 7.3 (841:8bd842aaf0ab) 2013-03-31
Duke, Yale, and the BlueBrain Project -- Copyright 1984-2013
See http://www.neuron.yale.edu/neuron/credits

oc>C:\neuron64\bin64\nrniv.exe: Segmentation violation
near line 149
{action(2)}
^
oc>

I load a hoc file that is very similar to the one I asked you for help with. Then go to print menu and select graph , save to ASCII and put a name in there. It saves a file without any data.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

Works fine for me. You're going to have to tell me exactly what steps you are following.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

This describes a simple method that works well if you only need to get a single
series of x-y data.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=781&p=2549&hilit=save+results#p2549
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

ted wrote:Works fine for me. You're going to have to tell me exactly what steps you are following.
Perhaps you were doing something like what is described on pages 7 and 8 of
printing.pdf
which you can download from NEURON's FAQ page
https://www.neuron.yale.edu/neuron/faq/ ... -questions
See
Q: How do I print a hard copy of a NEURON window?
A: Use the Print & File Window Manager (PFWM). Download printing.pdf to learn how.
This has the advantage that, if a graph contains plots of several variables, data from all of them will appear in the output file.
Martenzi

Post by Martenzi »

I solve this issue by simply go back to previous version 7.1 I believe. The 7.3 kept writing empty ASCII files and left that message, when I press enter it gives me another warning box and crashes. It indicated a memory problem. I tried both 32 and 64 bits and went back to 7.2 etc.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

With the standard release of NEURON v. 7.3, I have no problem using the Print & File Window Manager to print graph trace data to a file. Works under Windows Vista and Windows 7.

NEURON v. 7.1 is quite "old" and there have been many improvements and bug fixes in 7.2 and 7.3. If you provided more information--what version of Windows you're using, whether you had properly uninstalled any previous version of NEURON before installing 7.3 (always use NEURON's own uninstaller), exactly what steps you are using to save graph trace data to a file (including where you are trying to save the data)--it might be possible to discover the source of the problem you're having, and fix it.
shailesh

Post by shailesh »

I am encountering a similar situation when trying to save to postscript files. This is the error message I get:

Code: Select all

oc>C:\nrn73w64\bin64\nrniv.exe: Segmentation violation
 near line 158
 {action(1)}
            ^
I am running NEURON 7.3 on Windows 7:
NEURON -- Release 7.3 (841:8bd842aaf0ab) 2013-03-31
I was initially trying to save graphs using the 'printfile' command when I got this error. I then tried doing it via Print & File Window Manager but still had the same problem. I tested it on a very basic earlier program which I knew was certainly working; same issue. To exclude any possibility of my wrongdoings, I ran 'Neuron Demo' and tried to save any window using Print & File Window Manager - no help, still the same error message.

Seeing one of the earlier posts here, I downloaded NEURON 7.2 (on which I had previously successfully created several postscript files) and behold - it worked! So not sure what to make of it? For the time being keeping both 7.2 & 7.3, using the former just for whenever I need postscripts.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

shailesh wrote:I am encountering a similar situation when trying to save to postscript files. This is the error message I get:

Code: Select all

oc>C:\nrn73w64\bin64\nrniv.exe
So you were using the MinGW version. Unfortunately it has several bugs. Until it has been fixed, stick with the 32 bit cygwin NEURON 7.3.