Errors when loading model from ModelDB

pete

Errors when loading model from ModelDB

Post by pete »

I'm rather unfamiliar with Neuron software, especially in the use of cell models from model DB. The information linked from the website :
NEURON: When you press the Download button you will be asked to save the file in a directory. At this point if you want you can change the name of the file. First you expand the file with the unzip program supplied with NEURON or any other zip program. If you do not already have NEURON click here to go to the download and install NEURON page.
Then cd to the directory that contains the mosinit.hoc file and if under unix type nrnivmodl and press enter to compile the mechanism (.mod) files. If under windows run mknrndll to compile the mod files. On the mac drag the model folder to the mknrndll application. Then the model is ready to be run. A default way to run the model is given by the mosinit.hoc file (which is executed on startup during Auto-Launch) and is executed by either double clicking on the file (PC or MAC) or by typing nrngui mosinit.hoc on the command line (PC or unix). Check the readme file for more information on running the model.
I have 64 bit Windows 7 machine and just downloaded the latest standard distribution release (7.1) from the Neuron website.

I downloaded the zip file of the model I would like to use and have all relevant .hoc, .mod, etc files in a directory C:\Neuron\model_name. When I open mknrndll, I am prompted to choose a directory. I select this directory and click "Make nrnmech.dll." I immediately get an error message on the black window (with mknrndll in the title bar):

Code: Select all

0 [main] rxvt 5980 dtable::stdio_init: coun't make stderr distinct from stdout, Win32 error 6
In the white window (with sh in the title bar), I also get an error message after ~30 seconds that says:

rm: not found
sh: not found

There was an error in the process of creating nrnmech.dll
Press Return key to exit
I received the same error message when I used the modlunit application as well. I again selected the appropriate directory and chose one of the .mod files to check units. The black window showed an identical message while the white window showed:

cygpath: not found
sed: not found
modlunit: not found

Press Return key to exit
It seems that I'm missing something here. Was the default download incomplete? Do I need to add or change any settings? So far I have followed the instructions for windows users but are there different recommendations for Win7 users? I would appreciate help tremendously. Thanks in advance.

Peter
ted
Site Admin

Re: Errors when loading model from ModelDB

Post by ted »

On the off chance that your problems might be caused by a bug in 7.1, I suggest that you first uninstall NEURON (use the Uninstaller in the NEURON program group, and make sure that after uninstallation there is no nrn* directory in c:\). Then download the most recent 7.2 alpha installer
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/ftp/neuron/v ... -setup.exe
and install from that. Finally, try neurondemo (in the NEURON program group) and make sure that it works, especially the "Release" demo.
pete

Post by pete »

wow. That was the problem right there. Thank you so much.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

No thanks to MicroSloth. Every time they release a new version of MSWin, and often after they patch bugs in their software, it breaks NEURON so we have to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it. OS X, UNIX, and Linux are much more well-behaved in that regard.