Probable bug in the List() class?

Keivan

Probable bug in the List() class?

Post by Keivan »

When I was trying to execute this example in the List class documentation, I have noticed some strange behavior. I just want to make sure this is a normal behavior.

When I select an Item in the A[0] class (for example Random[1]) Neuron prints

Code: Select all

item 2 selected in list of object A[0]
which is a normal behavior, but after that when I select an item from A[1] class (for example Random[9]) Neuron prints the dialog 2 times repeatedly.

item 2 selected in list of object A[0]
item 4 selected in list of object A[1]
I think it should be printed only one time. Is this OK?
ted
Site Admin

Re: Probable bug in the List() class?

Post by ted »

Doesn't happen for me. I just get a single

But I'm using the latest version of NEURON--got the development code yesterday and compiled it. So if there is a bug, maybe it was fixed. What version are you using--what is the actual detailed "release information" that appears in the first line that NEURON prints when you start it?
Keivan

Post by Keivan »

I'm usin VERSION 7.2 (480:154ad065edb0) 2010-11-10.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

Same here. That makes the difference in results rather surprising. My bet is the problem lies elsewhere--maybe your mouse buttons aren't sufficiently "debounced," so the circuitry is detecting a double click when you intended a single click. Mouse buttons operate switches that are mechanical devices, and all mechanical devices can have slight variations in performance. I wonder if the symptom would go away if you changed the "mouse settings" (make them a bit slower?) or maybe just use a different mouse.
Keivan

Post by Keivan »

It's not a mouse ptoblem. I've tried another mouse.
My CYGwin is not uptodate. I will update it and try again.
Keivan

Post by Keivan »

1. I've updated my cygwin. but can't compile it in the new one. excuse me but I'm sick and tired of this compiling issues. I will come back to this when I have enough energy.

2. what is your operating system? I've tested this problem in windows 7 32 and 64 bit. with latest alpha (compiled myself with my old cygwin) and also with this downloaded version nrn-7.2.alpha-469+-setup . problem persists.

3. I've tried ps2 or usb mouse also a laptop touchpad. steel no chance to solve the problem.

There is no urgency for me about this problem. I just wanted to report the possible bug.
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

You are probably slightly moving the mouse when you press the button. Selection events are both mouse down and
mouse move (while the button is down). On my virtualbox mswin I see that the sensitivity to mouse movement is very
great. I should fix this so only movement from one item to another causes the action instead of repeated action calls
within a single item.

With regard to building under the latest cygwin, if your problem is in the configure part, I found that it is important to
export WANT_AUTOMAKE=1.11
(in order to avoid random use of aclocal v 1.4)
Keivan

Post by Keivan »

You are probably slightly moving the mouse when you press the button.
But this does not explain my experience. even when i use a touchpad button (there is no chance of mouse movement when I click) this problem persists.
This problem happens only when I switch from list A[0] to list A[1] (even not from A[1] to A[0]).
Thank you. your tip solved the compiling issue. except I steel receive this error

Error in script "nrnsetup.nsi" on line 192 -- aborting creation process
make: *** [mswin] Error 1

unfortunately the latest build could not fix the problem.
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

I should fix this so only movement from one item to another causes the action instead of repeated action calls
within a single item.
Finally got around to it. That fix is committed.
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/hg/neuron/nr ... efd518badd
Keivan

Post by Keivan »

I've tested the fix under win and linux. it works the way it should be.
Thanks. good job.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

hines wrote:With regard to building under the latest cygwin, if your problem is in the configure part, I found that it is important to
(in order to avoid random use of aclocal v 1.4)
This is unnecessary with cygwin 1.7.7 (latest version as of Dec. 1 2010) which includes a more recent version of automake.