opening anything from the modelDB

zhbrass

opening anything from the modelDB

Post by zhbrass »

Whenever I try to download anything from the modelDB, I am unable to open it in NEURON. I can unzip it and I can compile it, but none of the files will open in NEURON. I am running mac os 10.3.9 and neuron 5.8

Thanks,

Zach

Edit: also, can I use xcode to manipulate NEURON? What type of code? Perhaps C, C++, or Java?
tom_morse

how to run neuron on the mac

Post by tom_morse »

Double check that you have compiled the mod files ( I see you said you did but maybe you are starting over now):

1) After the archive is unziped drag and drop the newly created folder onto the mknrndll icon.

2) Then drag and drop the mosinit.hoc from the folder onto the nrngui icon.

(There might be other hoc files than mosinit.hoc that will also start up simulations. mosinit.hoc is intended to provide one default simulation to run during the autolaunch from ModelDB)

PS: you probably could use xcode to modify NEURON, or any simple editor. NEURON is a collection of C and C++ and unix scripts. The vast majority of NEURON users find it sufficient to write hoc code and combine that with session files (automatically generated code from NEURON that recreates graphical interfaces). See documentation at NEURON web site for tutorials:
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/neuron/docs
zhbrass

Post by zhbrass »

oops, I was dragging it to the neurondemo icon instead of the nrngui icon