Beginner optimizing with NEURON

Using the Multiple Run Fitter, praxis, etc..
Andy

Beginner optimizing with NEURON

Post by Andy »

Hi guys.

I am a beginner at NEURON and at modelling, and I have a few questions for you all. I am going to attempt to build a model of a part of the brain - first with leaky integrate and fire model neurons, then with other models - which is stimulated by multiple distant electrodes in an array. I intend to segment the model into spaces ("voxels") which will have a target voltage. The optimization I will use is to minimize the distance between the target voltage and the average voltage of cells in that voxel by altering the input current at each electrode in the array. I will also be modelling synaptic connections. This problem is designed to be solved over time, so efficient optimization is key. It looks like I may be modelling around 2-3 thousand neurons with the leaky integrate and fire model.

My question is this: is this a problem that can be approached well in NEURON? If so, how do I go about it? Step by step is good - I have my NEURON book handy.

Thanks heaps!

Andy
ted
Site Admin

Re: Beginner optimizing with NEURON

Post by ted »

Andy wrote:is this a problem that can be approached well in NEURON?
Probably. Many labs are using NEURON to deal large, complex models.
If so, how do I go about it?
Start with a clear and very explicit conceptual model of some part of your overall plan. Implement a computational model based on that. Repeat until done.