Retrieving current data from a file

NMODL and the Channel Builder.
nsuarez

Retrieving current data from a file

Post by nsuarez »

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right category, so feel free to move the topic if needed.

I'm using the model from "http://senselab.med.yale.edu/ModelDb/sh ... del=123623" to get some voltage data using white-noise as the input current, rather than the standard step-input on IClamp.
I'm importing the current using the Play Vector method, but for some reason I don't understand, the model is not picking up the imported data, but always runs using the default parameters on IClamp.

The following are there exact steps I'm taking to import the data.
Vector -> Retrieve from file
Vector -> Play -> Vector from Clipboard
------------------> Variable Name -> IClamp[0].i
------------------> Connected (Pressed)

Then I set IClamp[0].del = 0 an IClamp[0].dur = 1e9, and run the simulation, but it will still use a square-current with amplitude defined in IClamp[0].amp.

Any help with this will be appreciated, I'm new to NEURON, and have already spent two days trying to figure this out.
ted
Site Admin

Re: Retrieving current data from a file

Post by ted »

If you read the NMODL source code for IClamp (it's in a file called stim.mod, which is in the source code in nrn/src/nrnoc), you'll see the statement
i = amp
which means that IClamp.i is assigned the value specified by amp. So you want to play your vector into the IClamp's "amp" parameter, and that should take care of the problem.

If you're going to be doing this a lot, you'll want to read the data and set up Vector play with a bit of hoc code--that'll be much more convenient.