Problems trying to implement a custom point process

The basics of how to develop, test, and use models.
JamesKyeh

Problems trying to implement a custom point process

Post by JamesKyeh »

Hello all,

I'm currently having a problem trying to implement a point process from this https://senselab.med.yale.edu/ModelDB/S ... /ostim.mod and some insight would be greatly appreciated.

To keep it simple I've tried implementing the point process in my own model and in a totally fresh model (just a soma) and have resulted in this issue for both scenarios.
loading membrane mechanisms from nrnmech.dll
Additional mechanisms from files
ostimRW.mod
oc> -65
run()
nrniv:
Unhandled Exception. This usually means a bad memory
address. It is not possible to make a judgment as to whether it is safe
to continue. If this happened while compiling a template, you will have to
quit.
near line 5
run()
^
finitialize(-65)
init()
stdinit()
run()
oc>
DLL's are created, and the point process returns this error whether implemented through the point process manager or through code.
I've gone through the .mod file countless times and can't seem to find where the problem must be. Upon running it again, like the warning suggests, NEURON will close.

Any insight is greatly appreciated as the implementation of this point process is essential to my work and I can't seem to get it to work in any way and can't find any documentation on an issue like this. Could it be due to the fact that the original usage of this mod file was with a model that used python as the interpretor (Thought about this but the .mod file seems similar to what one would use with just NEURON)?
ted
Site Admin

Re: Problems trying to implement a custom point process

Post by ted »

Could it be due to the fact that the original usage of this mod file was with a model that used python as the interpretor
No.
NMODL is difficult to use, despite extensive documentation in chapters 9 and 10 of The NEURON Book. I'll have to see the mod file in order to advise you further--email it to
ted dot carnevale at yale dot edu
and I'll tell you what I find.
JamesKyeh

Re: Problems trying to implement a custom point process

Post by JamesKyeh »

Email is sent, Thank you for the help!