Inserting channels (some distribution) after loading SWC fil

Managing anatomically complex model cells with the CellBuilder. Importing morphometric data with NEURON's Import3D tool or Robert Cannon's CVAPP. Where to find detailed morphometric data.
dilawar

Inserting channels (some distribution) after loading SWC fil

Post by dilawar »

I was searching if one can specify channel distribution once a cell is created by loading SWC file into NEURON. I am thinking of specifying a region of cell and distribution of channel by an expression valid in that region. I am using Neuron-7.4 with python support enabled. Is there a snippet/example or document for doing this?

best,
Dilawar
ted
Site Admin

Re: Inserting channels (some distribution) after loading SWC

Post by ted »

The easiest way to do this is with the CellBuilder--see the
CellBuilder tutorials
link at http://www.neuron.yale.edu/neuron/docs
especially the tutorial on parameterized variation of biophysical properties.

One nice feature of the CellBuilder is that it can export reusable hoc code. This means you can implement a strategy using a toy model (stick figure cell), then generalize the exported hoc code for use with any morphology.
dilawar

Post by dilawar »

Thanks,

I managed to load the SWC file using python interface. Then I inserted few ion-channels into the model. To be sure, I want to count the number of channels to check my mechanism is getting inserted or not. How to get the number of compartment and channels using nrnpython?

best,
Dilawar
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

The GUI's ModelView tool is the best way to discover what is present in a model cell. Works with models whose properties were specified by any combination of hoc and/or Python. Just make sure that you start NEURON by
nrngui -python
or that you
from neuron import h, gui

If you prefer to read railroad timetables,
h('forall psection()')
may produce something more to your liking. However, that will not tell you about parameter values at section centers, so it's not very useful for assessing parameters that vary along the length of a section.