Cannot use Neuron in windows

Stelman

Cannot use Neuron in windows

Post by Stelman »

Hello,

I am using windows XP sverice pack 3. When I try to run the Neuron GUI I get the following error

MS-DOS style path detected: C:/nrn71/lib/neuron.sh
Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /usr/lib/neuron.sh
CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.
Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
http://cygwin.com/some URL..........

I read the user guide, but I really couldn't figure what to do. I searched the site for any related errors, I only found this post http://www.neuron.yale.edu/phpBB/viewto ... =15&t=2069 , but it didn't really help.

Can anyone help me out with this one?
ted
Site Admin

Re: Cannot use Neuron in windows

Post by ted »

First question: have you ever used NEURON before on any computer?
Second question: was some other version of NEURON previously installed, or uninstalled, on the computer you are using now?
Third question: exactly what are you doing when you
try to run the Neuron GUI
Please describe the exact steps that you take.
Stelman

Post by Stelman »

1) No

2) No

3) I just installed the files and tried to run nrngui from the shortcuts created on my desktop. It didn't run. I thought it had something to do with cygwin so I updated it (it was already installed) and followed the steps here http://www.neuron.yale.edu/neuron/download/getcygwin. It didn't work. However, I discovered that I could open rxvt bash and it worked properly. I didn't try to open the gui from the bash however. I am still puzzled as to why I can't open the GUI. Also, when I try to run neuron through Neuron Construct I get an error message that I must have not installed neuron properly. Strangely, I installed neuron to an older pc that I had formatted some time ago (and i am never using), and it worked.
Stelman

Post by Stelman »

The software finally ran. I don't know what was causing the problems. Maybe because I had cygwin installed. I don't know. I uninstalled it and now it runs.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

So cygwin was already installed on your PC, before you installed NEURON? Would you happen to recall what version of cygwin?

There used to be problems if NEURON was installed on a PC that already had cygwin installed, if the version of cygwin on the PC was different from the version that is provided with NEURON. However, recent NEURON installers check for a pre-existing cygwin and configure NEURON to use whichever one is newer. Just last week I installed the most recent version of cygwin on a PC, and then installed the most recent alpha version of NEURON, and had no problems at all.

But it sounds like the installer you tried was having some problem making this decision. What version of NEURON were you trying to install?
Stelman

Post by Stelman »

I was installing the latest version of Neuron. I cannot remember which version of cygwin I had installed. I downloaded cygwin about 1 year ago.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

Stelman wrote:I uninstalled it and now it runs.
Well, if the "it" that was uninstalled is the old cygwin, and the "it" that now runs is NEURON, I think we understand why--a conflict between the old cygwin and the newer version that was packaged with NEURON.