mknrndll.hoc: make Error 127

kstadler

mknrndll.hoc: make Error 127

Post by kstadler »

Hallo,

I just updated from Neuron 5.9 to 7.1 and now I can't compile mod files anymore.
When I use mknrndll.hoc I reproducible create the following:
gcc -DDLL_EXPORT -DPIC -I/cygdrive/c/programme/nrn71/src/scopmath -I/cygdrive/c/programme/nrn71/src/nrnoc -I/cygdrive/c/programme/nrn71/src/oc -I/cygdrive/c/programme/nrn71/lib -I/cygdrive/c/programme/nrn71/gccinc -I/cygdrive/c/programme/nrn71/gcc3inc -L/cygdrive/c/programme/nrn71/gcclib -c mod_func.c
make: gcc: Command not found
make: *** [mod_func.o] Error 127

There was an error in the process of creating nrnmech.dll
Press Return key to exit
I already
- un- and reinstalled Neuron
- tested mknrdll on some mod files from the distribution (camchan.mod), of course in a new directory without any .c or .o files
- installed Neuron on different Windows Systems (Windows XP or Windows 2000)

I did not install Neuron in a path containing blanks.

For me it seems that the error is somehow connected the cygwin or the gcc, but I am not at all a Linux expert...

I would be grateful for every advice
Konstantin
ted
Site Admin

Re: mknrndll.hoc: make Error 127

Post by ted »

This happens if your PC already has an installation of Cygwin that is different from what is built into the nrn*setup.exe installer. You have to uninstall NEURON, then either (1) uninstall Cygwin and reinstall NEURON from the nrn*setup.exe, or (2) install InterViews and NEURON from the iv*tar.gz and nrn*tar.gz source files. (1) is what I'd do if I wasn't using Cygwin for anything in particular.
kstadler

Post by kstadler »

So, I
1) uninstalled Neuron
2) searched for any other neuron or nrn*.* file I could possibly have on the computer and deleted them
3) tried to uninstall cygwin -> I did not have any file or path named cygwin. Anyway I deleted every cygwin notation from the regfiles and rebooted
4) I reinstalled Neuron and
-> 5) the mknrndll still does not work (same error massage as described below)

Nevertheless I can start and run the NEURON Demo withou problems.
I don't know if it is of any importance, but the regentrys (in HKLM and HKCU) did not reappear after I installed Neuron but after the first start of mknrndll.

Regards
KST
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

make: gcc: Command not found
Well, it turns out that the installer for MSWin didn't include gcc. A new installer has now been created which contains gcc--it's at http://www.neuron.yale.edu/ftp/neuron/v ... .setup.exe
kstadler

Post by kstadler »

Works, many thanks
KST
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

Sorry about the inconvenience. It's rare that something is omitted from the MSWin installer.
melissamou

Post by melissamou »

Hello Ted,
I can't open my mknrndll , and i download the software you mentioned above and install it again, however, it also can't work.
I don't know what is wrong.

as far as i know, i wrote a channel in a notepad and save it as *.mod. before i use it i need use the modlunit to make sure the consistency of units and use the mknrndll to compile it. am i right?
melissamou

Post by melissamou »

melissamou wrote:Hello Ted,
I can't open my mknrndll , and i download the software you mentioned above and install it again, however, it also can't work.
I don't know what is wrong.

as far as i know, i wrote a channel in a notepad and save it as *.mod. before i use it i need use the modlunit to make sure the consistency of units and use the mknrndll to compile it. am i right?
by the way, my system is windows xp
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

Almost certainly the difficulty you are experiencing has nothing to do with the previous messages in this thread, so the action you took will have no effect.

What version of NEURON are you using?
Does neurondemo work? In particular, are you able to select the "Release" model and run a simulation? (should produce graphs that show time course of calcium currents and concentrations)
What is the path of the mod files that you are trying to compile?
Were you ever able to compile mod files on this or any other PC?
If not, or if you never tried, please describe how you are trying to compile them (what are the steps you are taking?).
What error message does mknrndll print?
melissamou

Post by melissamou »

Hi Ted,
it is neuron 7.1, and the neurondemo works and i am able to select the "Release" model and run a simulation, yes it shows the graphs.
ted wrote:Were you ever able to compile mod files on this or any other PC?
i have compile mod files on another PC but not this one.
melissamou wrote:What is the path of the mod files that you are trying to compile?
ted wrote:What error message does mknrndll print?
i can't even open the mknrndll, i double it, but nothing happened. no windows opened.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

Uninstall NEURON--use the uninstaller in the NEURON Program Group (I'm assuming you're using MSWin), then check to make sure that C:\ has no nrn or nrn71 directory (if you see one, delete it and all of its contents). Then reboot. Finally, get
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/ftp/neuron/v ... -setup.exe
and use it to install NEURON.
melissamou

Post by melissamou »

thanks Ted, now it can work.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

That's good news!