windows in x64 mode

patoorio

windows in x64 mode

Post by patoorio »

Hi,

I'm working with Windows XP x64 edition. I've noticed that neuron runs in 32bit modein this OS, and it is no wonder because of the lack of a native 64-bit cygwin.
Because of that, I also assume that I could not compile a native 64-bit version of neuron using cygwin. Is there any other option to compile a native 64-bit version of neuron for windows?

My concern is because I've tested some simulations in the same machine under windows and Linux (x64), and the result is twice as faster in linux than in windows. I attribute it mainly to the 32bit/64bit issue because previously I did the same test using 32bit linux and it was faster than windows only by a factor of 1.3-1.4.

Regards.
hines
Site Admin

Re: windows in x64 mode

Post by hines »

Unfortunately I know nothing about 64 bit windows and do not have access such a machine or os.
I suspect that you CAN build under cygwin but you would need the proper compilers and options.
If not cygwin, then possibly MinGW since that is how I build it as a windows python
extension. You are probably in for some google searching but the first step would be to build
from the sources as a normal 32 bit version.
patoorio

Re: windows in x64 mode

Post by patoorio »

Hi,
After some months, I want to get back to this. I've discovered that there a 64 bit version of mingw: http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/.
I've compiled it (mingw64, not neuron) under cygwin but I really don't know how to continue. I don't know much about compiling, less about cross compiling and I would like to learn. Is there some guide, FAQ or document in the internet that could help me? ('compiling for dummies'?). I haven't found nothing yet that would go from the basics. GCC's FAQs and manuals, for instance, seem to be for people that already know the basics and maybe a little more (or maybe I didn't find the proper chapter for me!)

Thanks.