What to do after install? (getting neurondemo to work)

Mumrik

What to do after install? (getting neurondemo to work)

Post by Mumrik »

Hi, I'm new both to Linux (running Ubuntu) and Neuron so this question might seem silly.

I've managed to install Neuron from the source code using this guide:
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/neuron/downl ... pile_linux

Now I can run the demo with the command
$HOME/Neuron/nrn/i686/bin/neurondemo

But I don't know how to run the full program, or if it is even necessary. When I run the demo I get a window named NEURON Main Menu, is this the full version or do I need a separate command?
ted
Site Admin

Re: What to do after install? (getting neurondemo to work)

Post by ted »

If the command
neurondemo
shows you only the NEURON Main Menu toolbar and nothing else, there is one more step:
as root, compile the mod files that are associated with neurondemo.* This happens automatically if you execute the command
neurondemo
with root privileges--which under Ubuntu means you have to execute
sudo neurondemo
This should launch the compilation of those mod files, and after a bunch of messages fly by (and assuming that all goes well) you will eventually see NEURON start up and show you the controls for the neurondemo program.

*--After those files have been compiled, you can just run
neurondemo
as an ordinary user.
Mumrik

Re: What to do after install? (getting neurondemo to work)

Post by Mumrik »

Ah Neurondemo works fine it was Neuron itself I was having trouble with. Managed to launch it with "nrngui" so all is well for the moment. Working through the tutorials and plan on getting the book so I expect a few (many) more question-marks will appear, nice to know I can get such fast replies here!