NRN 7.4 on windows 10

Re: NRN 7.4 on windows 10

Postby asb » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:31 pm

I been assuming that you cannot successfully double click on any hoc file Is that the case with
c:/nrn/demo/demo.hoc ?

Yes none of the hoc files seem to initialise within the demo folder either. On the other hand if I open 'NEURON Demo' directly from the shortcut folder it works fine.
asb

Postby asb » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:47 am

I was unable to sort this out and ended up re-installing windows - this has fixed the problem

However I have now encountered a different issue (I was unsure whether to post it under this thread, as it is still relevant to windows 10, or create a new thread so apologies in advance!)
When I use braces { } at the prompt I get the following error message:

Code: Select all
oc>create soma
oc>soma{
>       oc>c:\nrn\bin\nrniv.exe: Segmentation violation
near line 4
^
oc>func test(){
>       oc>c:\nrn\bin\nrniv.exe:
Unhandled Exception. This usually means a bad memory
address. It is not possible to make a judgment as to whether it is safe
to continue. If this happened while compiling a template, you will have to
quit.
near line 5
^
oc>

However if I execute a hoc file that contains syntax with braces this works perfectly. Currently I use a python interpreter (which works fine....) so it is not a practical issue. I know of one other person with the same problem, who is also using windows 10, and thought I would see if anyone else has run into this.
Thanks in advance
asb

Postby patoorio » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi,

I'm running into the same issue. My workaround has been to replace the association of .hoc files to make them be opened with 'nrniv.exe' instead of neuron.exe. I think it works OK that way, though I don't know if some unexpected problem may arise later.
I'm wondering if this is related to the fact that I have installed Windows 10's bash system (kind of an Ubuntu sub-system within WIndows 10 that can be installed since the Anniversary Update). I haven't had the will to uninstall it to see if this is the case, specially now that I found this other workaround.

Regards

P.S. BTW, I took a long time to notice it, since I'm also more into the PyNeuron thing. I started to notice when I wanted to use the Neurons In Action 2 tutorials and got this error. At first I thought if was a NIA2 problem, but then I realized it was also a problem of the regular Neuron installation.
patoorio

Previous

Return to MSWin