Where to find NA+ and K+ concentration data?

bvbellomo

Where to find NA+ and K+ concentration data?

Post by bvbellomo »

I am not using Neuron. I am investigating using Brownian motion for non-compartmentalized neurological simulations.

I am trying to find quantitative data about K+ and NA+ concentrations inside and outside the neurons in the central nervous system. I know it varies, but so far, I haven't found much information.

Can anyone tell me how many K+ cations are in a given area or neuron of a given size? Where can I go to find this information?

I am also trying to find out how many K+ cations surround the neuron, how many NA+ cations are both inside and outside the neuron, and what their distribution is.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

Sounds like something the developers of MCell
http://www.mcell.cnl.salk.edu/
may have thought about. You might ask Joel Stiles and Tom Bartol for their suggestions.
bvbellomo

Post by bvbellomo »

Wow, it is strange to see that link. M-Cell is what got me started in this field to begin with.

M-Cell can only simulate random motion equally likely in all directions, which works well for a neuromuscular junction, but is not useful for a neuron (where the ion charges are as important as diffusion). Dr. Stiles says I need to go to Poisson-Nernst-Planck, and but I am not certain that is the best approach either (posting why is a long discussion).

I never thought to ask Dr. Stiles for this data, he likely doesn't have it, and he has to be getting sick of answering my questions by now. He has been incredibly helpful, and I will include this next time I e-mail him about something else.