mctavish

NEURON + Python hands-on tutorial, San Diego 2010

Post by mctavish »

NEURON + Python Hands-On Tutorial

8am – 12pm, Saturday, November 13, 2010
San Diego Training and Conference Center
350 10th Ave. Suite 950
San Diego, CA 92101

Organizers: Thomas McTavish, Michael Hines, Thomas Morse, Ted Carnevale, Gordon Shepherd

On Saturday morning before the Society for Neuroscience meeting, we will lead a hands-on course for coding in Python using NEURON. In this 4-hr course, we will cover fundamental NEURON concepts and core Python commands to interface with NEURON. We will also demonstrate various Python tools for facilitating model development and libraries for data visualization and analysis. Additionally, we will demonstrate how we are exploiting the Python interface to NEURON to add features to the ModelDB database allowing NEURON models to be more extensively explored online. These enhancements increase the utility of contributing one’s models to ModelDB.

The course will consist of a number of tutorials operating through a SAGE server that permits participants to enter Python commands into a web browser and save their notes and code in a digital lab notebook. In these tutorials, we will build and visualize properties of single- and multi-compartment models. We will also build a network model. With these models, we will run simulations and visualize results that are ready to print. In addition to covering essential Python commands, we will exploit parts of Scipy (Numpy, Matplotlib, Mayavi). We will also demonstrate how to contribute and share code through this server to foster collaborations.

Participants may bring their own laptops or use the computers at the facility, which is just blocks away from the San Diego Convention Center. Registration is FREE, but space is limited. A continental breakfast will be provided.

To register, reply to mctavish here on the forum, or send a note to Thomas _dot_McTavish _at_yale _dot_edu
tripti

Re: NEURON + Python hands-on tutorial, San Diego 2010

Post by tripti »

Yes, I would be interested in attending the tutorial. Any further steps I should take? Please let me know: triptigu@usc.edu

Thanks,
Tripti
phendric

Post by phendric »

I'm interested in taking this course, especially with the bits about integrating Python's data analysis/visualization libraries into NEURON models.

Phillip
mctavish

Post by mctavish »

The response to this seminar has been overwhelming and there are more people on the wait list than there are seats available. We will be placing the seminar materials on the NEURON forum after SfN. Additionally, I have two posters at SfN -- one educational poster Saturday and Sunday (#OOO43), which I will be demoing at least between 3-4pm on Saturday and another poster Sunday (#MMM18) -- both describing some of the Python interface to NEURON. I invite you to visit me then, if you would like.